Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

Default Laser levels

I just had reason to use a laser level. I bought a cheap Black and
Decker (BDL400S) for $30 (? I think?; NOT much more than that, fer
sure.)

I used it to strike a level line across 6 4X4 posts (3 old and 3 new)
that hold up my patio cover. It's not the 360 deg kind, I had to
strike the level line sequentially across the first 3 posts, then from
the 1st to the 4th, and from the 4th through 5th and 6th. The
longest span was ~25 ft. Most importantly, I was able to use it
alone.

It worked perfectly, saved a LOT of time, and the results were great.
The patio cover came out perfectly, with all rafters and supports
measuring perfectly "level" on a 4-ft bubble level.

-Zz

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:26:48 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I'm planning to install about 400 feet of (three layered) crown
molding in 5 rooms with several outside corners. I'm wondering if I
should buy a laser lever device or just use what I have (4' bubble
level and chalk line). At the BORG I saw several laser level types
and prices. Any suggestions on brands/types? It would be nice to
keep the price under $50 (I saw some over $300!). What are the big
advantages over a traditional chalk line? I did not particularly like
the 3M stick strips, but I guess there are limited ways to hold the
device up 10' on the wall. TIA