Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

Default Need Help with a Gear

On 12 Feb 2006 17:44:27 -0800, "Christopher Tidy"
wrote:

Just had a look at a gear catalogue. Looks like that gear is little
more than 1/2" diameter. Damn. That's a little small for welding in a
replacement boss. Could you make a new gear with a circular bore and a
grubscrew instead of a D-shaped bore?

Chris

Another problem. The gear face is just over 0.5" and meshes with a
1/4" face gear that lines up right in the center of the smaller gear.
Of course, the worn out section is in the center. I've thought about
cutting the gear in two and rearranging the parts so unworn teeth are
now in the center. That is my last choice though.

I'm no machinist. Gear stock is available but the D hole is a stumper.

Also, I haven't figured out if it is 14.5° or 20° pressure angle. Any
ideas on that?