Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Info Wanted - Basics of DC Motor Conversion w/ Controller

Glenn wrote:
.... You should
be able to source a motor and controler from a used treadmill. ...

"Buyer beware". Not all treadmill motors are equal. I have scavenged a
few from the dump and one in particular was very surprising in its
performance: with it running at full speed (6K rpm), I was able to bring
it to a stop by putting my bare hand on the 10" flywheel!! This was
supposedly a 1 1/2 hp (+-) motor. Yeah, right. I was very glad that I
hadn't paid anything for it, or had invested any time installing it on a
machine. POS for sure.

Bob