Posted to uk.d-i-y
A Bloke

Default Part P conudrum.....

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:31:43 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"A Bloke" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:55:27 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

It devalues the whole weight of the legal infrastructure
as it becomes ever more difficult for normally law abiding people to go
about the basic functions of everyday life without legally transgressing
on a regular basis - either by ignorance, or by tiring of the futility
of caring any more.

This is very much the case for me. The only two reasons I DIY are that
(1)I quite enjoy it, and (2)It is often the only way of totally ensuring
that a given job is completed correctly and to the highest possible
standards. It certainly doesn't save me any significant amounts of money
once tools, test-equipment and my time have all been factored in.

Your time is free, unless you divert from money making time to DIY.

That is certainly one way of looking at it. However, I work for myself
and I generally work 16 hours a day, excluding weekends. Whatever time I
spend on DIY-related matters (including "research", which IME usually
takes up more time than the actual piece of work itself) is typically
time during which I could be doing paid work. Therefore, whatever time I
spend on DIY usually costs me my standard hourly rate which is generally
in the same ball-park as the hourly rate of a professional tradesman.

I appreciate this may not be a common set of circumstances.