clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:28:42 GMT, "Brett"
wrote:

I've only worked on small-block Chevy V-8's, so don't know much about
Toyotas, but IMO it would be easier out of the truck on a stand.
Also as well as the other tools mentioned an oil pump primer is good to use
before you fire it up,"a rebuild" the first time.

Remember, the Toyota oil pump is on the crank. Fill it with heavy oil
on assembly, and fill the filter with light oil. Use a good engine
assembly lube (Lucas oil treetment works good, or use Moly) and you
will have oil pressure in about 5 or 6 cranks. Crank it without plugs
antil the pressure comes up, then put the plugs in, fire it up, and
hold it at 2000 rpm for a few minutes.

A word of warning though, a tranny with 150K miles on it might not last
long behind a new"rebuilt" engine. Although I've also heard Toyotas run
forever, so you can never tell.

Put a new input shaft bearing in while you have it apart. About 90% of
toyota standard trans problems start with the input bearing. Many then
show up as a countershaft bearing.

Anyway, don't let it intimidate(sp?) you, once you tear into it and see how
everythings put together it's gravy train from there on.:-)

A good book on the engine is a good idea, but wouldn't be surprised if you
could find it all on the whirled why'd web.

Brett