Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

In message , Andy Hall
writes
I'm not sure about that, but modern filling materials are stronger and
adhere better than amalgam filling material so when it comes to
replacement

I can't agree there

I've had problems with ceramic fillings falling out

I think that used to be the case but apparently there's been recent
developments with "white" fillings that make them stronger than amalgam.
My dentist proposes to replace a persistently troublesome broken amalgam
filling with a white one which he reckons should have a better chance of
survival. More expensive than amalgam and not available on the NHS
because it's not a front tooth but probably more cost effective
considering the number of times amalgam ones in that tooth have broken.

I think that this is right.

I've had a couple of very early white fillings replaced, but nothing
else that was done in the last 25 years. Equally, I haven't used NHS
dentistry for 25 years either.

I can remember being told at the time of having a repair done to a
lower incisor about 20 years ago that it might not last. It actually
lasted about 10 years and was replaced 15 years ago with new material.
It has remained in good shape ever since.

The situation seems to be a combination of material used and time
taken. I know that a private dentist takes a lot more trouble over
issues like ensuring a proper key and making sure that everything is
dry before placing the filling.

I might go for ceramics next time then (having just had a couple of gold
caps fitted !)

--
geoff