Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Default Good used tig welder

"Ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Karl

Nick and I were at an auction of a high school shop class equipment
and there was that very machines not sure of the model but it was very
large and would have taken up to much of our small shop and your right
on about moveing something that heavy realy adds to the cost. i just
saw more adds on those tig welders from china, has any one give them a
try . Thanks Ben

Ben,
I have the Harbor Freight TIG. It is an inverter and DC only. Lift arc
start and no remote control. It works quite well on about anything but
aluminum. Aluminum is possible but really tough to make work. I also have
a Miller Dialarc 250 with a TIG head that works much better on Aluminum and
the heavier stuff. The Dialarc does not go down low enough for really fine,
thin work. Knowing what you are planning to weld would help (23 Tbucket is
a bit vague) The dryer outlet will run the HF machine just fine but you
will be quite limited in output for some of the big old transformer
machines. I can only get about 200 amps out of the Miller before I blow a
50 amp breaker.
Glenn