Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Elecric shower blown fuse

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:58:42 -0000 someone who may be "Andy Pandy"
wrote this:-

The cable is 6.0 T&E (at least that what is says on the clips).

How is it installed? Is it run through thermal insulation, clipped
to a wall, enclosed in conduit? Is it grouped with other cables?

The cold water pipe is earthed, but I'm not sure it's earthed near the shower inlet.

There should be bonding between metal pipes, metal baths and
electrical equipment in the bathroom. It can be concealed and hard
to find, but if it is not there the installation is dangerous.

If there are several earthed metal pipes running to the bathroom,
say hot/cold water and heating flow/return, and these are bonded to
the shower, then that is solid enough earthing. However, changes to
the plumbing may change this.

Isn't an RCD supposed to cut the supply much quicker than a fuse?

A common misconception. Fuses don't have mechanical parts which have
to move to open the circuit. Depending on the supply and the fault,
a fuse may disconnect a circuit far faster than an RCD.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh