Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Part P conudrum.....

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:46:21 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

The effect is that we move inexorably towards the modus operandi of
the latin language countries where there is plenty of legislation, but
which is mainly ignored unless something bad happens.

That's fine as long as we all understand that that's the rules of the
game - sort of like traffic lights in Milan being an indication of
policy more than anything else.

Ah I think I get it, at last.

For instance (electrics):
The stated policy is such that there is no way that you can
make a business out of doing minor electrical work.
1) You are responsible for the entire installation after any modification.
2) You are required to perform tests.
A) Now these test require expensive, calibrated test gear.
B) Annual recalibration expenditure.
3) The original paperwork is meant to be around for you to make reference
to.
4) Failing (3) You have to test the whole lot.
5) The full inspect, test and certify is likely to take up to a day in a
typical house.
6) There will be many items which will need to be fixed immediately. etc.

Or...
Just do the job and leave as little paperwork as possible,
make sure there is nothing glaringly wrong.
Hope nothing goes wrong, if it does, hopefully, it won't come back on you,
but if so start wriggling and get the best help you can afford.