Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Part P conudrum.....

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:01:54 +0000, A Bloke wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:55:27 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

It devalues the whole weight of the legal infrastructure
as it becomes ever more difficult for normally law abiding people to go
about the basic functions of everyday life without legally transgressing
on a regular basis - either by ignorance, or by tiring of the futility
of caring any more.

This is very much the case for me. The only two reasons I DIY are that
(1)I quite enjoy it, and (2)It is often the only way of totally ensuring
that a given job is completed correctly and to the highest possible
standards. It certainly doesn't save me any significant amounts of money
once tools, test-equipment and my time have all been factored in.

I've always been fairly anal about checking which regulations and best
practices to apply to any job I'm doing, and making damn-sure I comply
with them. This Part P nonsense is the first time I've thought about
short-cutting what I consider to be pointless bureaucratic bull****, and
of course the problem with that is it undermines the whole Building
Control process: if I'm going to do the odd bit of electrical work
without approval, then it suddenly becomes not such a big step to, say,
alter a load-bearing structure like a chimney breast without approval
(who's to know?, I'll probably get away with it, blah blah blah).

That is the problem with bringing stupid laws and regulations into force
- you turn reasonable, sensible people of good morals, into
law-breakers.

Part P has done much to erode the rule of law.

Are you serious? Anarchy in the streets?