Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default fan dimmer

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:09:44 -0500, mm
wrote:

But it didn't work for all fans. Some fans would not spin at all,
even when the dimmer was set to maximum. (I unplugged those as soon as
I was sure it wasn't spinning.) For those I bought the fan speed
controller, a thing smaller than a standard small size spool of thread
with 2 wires coming out of it and shaft that rotates in it, that is
meant, I think, to replace a failed controller in a wall control for a
ceiling fan.

They do sell this at most hardware stores, iirc. I didn't want to
rely on these becasue iirc they are more expensive than lamp dimmers,
and the only premade boxes I could find were 4 inches high (x 2 x 2),
when 2 inches high would be plenty. The boxes are obtrusive, and look
sort of ridiculous. But otoh, you'll be the only one who has one,
except for me, and there is some pride to be taken in that. Or you
could hide the box, or find a better one.

I found a plastic box at a plastic store on Canal St.
and mounted it in that. Then I simulated the plug from the Leviton
dimmer by using a plug and a cord-mounted single receptacle.

These are hard to find too, and when I do see one it is often for
heavy duty cords. Sometimes I find suitable things in appliances
like vacuum cleaners that I'm stripping beforre throwing them away,

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.