dave

Default 18v circular saws - any good?

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"Tenex" wrote in message
As header really, I have need of a circular saw for a few projects and I
wondered if battery ones were any good? I don't need to cut much more

than
18mm MDF at most. Are they any good for cutting laminate flooring or

would
be better off hiring a chop saw?

Thanks

I personally don't like them, tried two different ones belonging to work
mates, who also don't like them, and found that they don't have the OOMPH
you need to do any real work with them. Although, saying that, they were
good enough for cutting a couple of inch by inch wooden stakes in garden,
but they fell over when tried on anything bigger.

I have found the 18v dewalt cordless saw very usefull. Its portability
and size makes ideal if you are restricted buy space or location. The
light weight also makes it easy to handle. Have used it to cut 4 x
2's, 28mm thick kitchen worktops and rip down 18mm sheet of mdf. On
the minus side I think that the side guide rail should reach at least
enought to cover the blade.
One feature which you wont see on the cheaper or other 18 volt
cordless circular saws is the blade is on the left hand side giving
you 'at a glace' lining up.
If its just occasional use or for a couple of jobs there are plenty of
cheap 240 volt circular saws availiable. One piece of advice (that
makes sence) I have picked up from this board would be to change the
blade of a cheepo circular saw to a good quality one.