Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Burnt outlet / Dead circuit

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:27:53 GMT, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article , CJT
wrote:

Matt wrote:

Hello, here's my situation:

In an upstairs bedroom, there was a baseboard heater plugged into one
outlet and, in another outlet, a hair dryer and hair iron. Poof, all
outlets went dead and the holes of the outlet where the heater was
plugged in was scorched and slightly melted.

I replaced the scorched outlet with a new one, but still no outlets in
the room have power. Checking each outlet with a circuit tester
indicates a dead circuit. This is a house I recently moved into and I
don't have experience troubleshooting this kind of problem. I bought a
basic home wiring book by Black and Decker and that got me through
replacing the outlet, but beyond that, my diagnostic skills are
limited.

What other things should I be looking into at this point?

Your help is appreciated,
Matt

Did you flip the circuit breaker back on? :-)

Flip it OFF then ON

I've seen some that require that and some that don't. Also, it would
have been nice to have already identified what breakers control what.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com