Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Burnt outlet / Dead circuit

Assuming you had located the correct circuit breaker for these outlets and
reset it after replacing the burned outlet: Check for loose connections in
each dead outlet and in live outlets that are located near the dead outlets,
especially if the connections are backstabbed into holes in the back of the
receptacles. Sometimes you can find a loose connection by tapping on the
outlets while having a lamp plugged into one of the dead outlets (turned on)
and watch for it to flicker as you tap on the faulty outlet box

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, here's my situation:

In an upstairs bedroom, there was a baseboard heater plugged into one
outlet and, in another outlet, a hair dryer and hair iron. Poof, all
outlets went dead and the holes of the outlet where the heater was
plugged in was scorched and slightly melted.

I replaced the scorched outlet with a new one, but still no outlets in
the room have power. Checking each outlet with a circuit tester
indicates a dead circuit. This is a house I recently moved into and I
don't have experience troubleshooting this kind of problem. I bought a
basic home wiring book by Black and Decker and that got me through
replacing the outlet, but beyond that, my diagnostic skills are
limited.

What other things should I be looking into at this point?

Your help is appreciated,
Matt