Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Floors

wrote in message
oups.com...
:I wonder how long the foam underlayment will last? foam
generally turns
: to dust after awhile.
=== Actually, in my case at least, it's a bit more than "just"
foam. I don't think it's foam at all other than in
appearance;i'ts more like an open cell vinyl of some kind. I
don't recall the name on it but I still have part of a roll of it
around if you really want to know; just ask and I'll check it.
It's also enclosed in a tough plastic layer on each side with
a protective backed adhesive along one edge so that when you put
two rows of it side by side, you pull off the backing and lap the
free plastic onto the adhesive. It's a danged good adhesive,
whatever it is they use; you cannot pull it apart without
damageing the plastic if it's set there for more than a minute or
so.
:
:
: have realtives with this floor, it looked good the last time I
saw it,
: and they have a big dog, still I dont trust the material. it
will
: likely be similiar to vinyl floor replaced every X number of
years.
:
No idea, really. I suspect it's like anything else; lots of
varieties of products out there with just as many possibilities
for longevity - or lack thereof.

One thing I do like about it is that it almost cannot be
scratched; it'll dent, but the surface doesn't crack or come
loose. Yet at least g. I can say with a fair confidence that
it takes more punishment than varnish or poly would take. Plus
there is no stain to speak of: the color permeates the whole top
layer of material which is pretty easily visible when you but it.

The only worries I have at the moment are that the seams might
open up and become visible - I cannot believe that perfect fit is
going to last over the years. Guess only time will tell.

Oh, I used some of the leftover scraps to make table-saw sleds;
two of them; one ofr miters and the other for crosscuts.
Outstanding material for that, albeit a little expensive, but
since it was scrap, well, I'm cheap g.

Pop