Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

Default Cheap ESR Meter

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:12:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:
I'd have preferred AA cells. They cost the same in the UK but last
twice as long. They're also easier to get.

SIX AA's mean you'd need a bigger case.

No - plenty room in my one. Perhaps the design of the case has changed?

When I met up with the guys in the Dick Smith Kits Dept to plan
the Mark 2 revision of the ESR meter, we checked the size of available
AA cell holders and concluded that there was no way they'd fit in the
space available. Possibly the ones you've seen are more "slimline"
than the kind DSE sells? AAA cells are just as expensive down here,
and it's probably the same in the USA too.

In the case of the DSE ESR meter,battery life with AAA's(vs AA's) is not
going to matter much;the cells will probably LEAK first.

I'd not expect any quality battery to leak in three years or so.

I don't remember seeing any Energizer or Eveready alkaline cell or
battery ever leak. But Duracells are a different story, unfortunately.
I stay away from them now.

Cheers
Bob