Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

Default Cheap ESR Meter

Hi Dave,
We'd have preferred AA cells too! Unfortunately their holders are
too large to fit in the case.
We considered changing the case, but there weren't any with a 9V
battery door with suitable dimensions for the PCB etc.
With this kind of thing, a lot of compromises have to be made. Back
in 1995, everyone assumed that a kit for an ESR meter would never
become popular because it's such a specialized instrument. If I'd
known it was going to take off like it did, I'd have designed it
differently.
I'm very pleased that it's been helpful to so many of my fellow
technicians!!

Cheers
Bob

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:31:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'd have preferred AA cells. They cost the same in the UK but last twice
as long. They're also easier to get.

The other alternative would have been a case mounted PP3 battery holder so
you could quickly change the battery.

However, thanks for the kit. It's super.