Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ol' Duffer

Default DMM acting flaky

In article om,
says...
I've got a Rat Shack (micronta) 22-174B that I use for my hobby, which
is building guitar effect pedals. It's a cheap unit, but it's got the
functions that I need, such as a capacitance meter, hfe, etc.
Anyhow, I can't get good ohm resistance readings at all anymore. It is
way off. And the continuity tester beeps if I hold both a lead in each
hand.

Not very familar with the RS products, but many DMM's use
a ratiometric configuration with the reference resistor in
series with the unknown. You may have blown the reference
resistor.