Harold & Susan Vordos

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

"D" wrote in message
I have never rebuilt a Toyota engine but have several air-cooled VWs under
my belt. I highly recommend doing it... something about firing it up after
it is all done that is most satisfying....

--
David
1964 Karmann Ghia coupe

Yep, I fully agree. Over the years I've done major rebuilds on a half dozen
engines, bored, ground cranks, bearings, balanced, new pistons, cams,
lifters, valve jobs, the works. There's no greater feeling than starting an
engine that you have had in pieces. What a fine tribute to a workman to
assemble a couple hundred parts properly, and see them perform. The one
thing I don't recommend, however, is to re-ring an engine, especially one
with miles on it. By the time the new rings "seat" (which they often don't
do because of the irregular cylinders), you're likely to have a modest oil
burner. If the truck is worth the effort, spend the extra few hundred to
bore the cylinders and get new pistons. Tapered, out of round cylinders are
a pain in the arse. Sort of ruins an otherwise super rebuild job to leave
them. I practice what I preach, even though it's not cheap.

Harold