Ben Edgington

Default Survey advice

"Dave" writes:
We are in the process of buying our first house a 4 bed semi built
1950's we have been given the option of three different types of
survey, Standard valuation, Homebuyers report, Full structural
survey and I'm not sure which type we would be best having as this
is all very new to us, can anyone offer any advise please?

In addition to other comments, it might be worth seeing if you can
accompany the surveyor as he does his work. You're paying after all.

We recently had a homebuyers' on a 3 bed 1950s semi and I spent three
hours there with the surveyor who turned out to be a really helpful
guy. The final paper report is pretty insubstantial, so it was very
useful to get some insight into his reasoning and all his
off-the-record remarks. I almost feel like I got value for money 8^)

In contrast, the surveyor acting for the buyer of our property was in
and out in no time, and appeared pretty cavalier.

Even if you don't go along on the day, take the opportunity to talk
with the surveyor by phone after you get the report. You'll find that
things in there that look serious and scary are often just simple
matters of the surveyor covering himself.

Ben

--
Ben Edgington
Note that email to is discarded. However,