Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dave Baker

Default What is it? CI

Matthew T. Russotto wrote in message
In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:58:50 -0500, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

How's that?? The previous poster said that castellated nuts were used
in automotive applications, steering and suspension. I said they are
not ( similar to what you posted.) I said slotted nuts are mostly used
in automotive applications. Spindles are part of automotive steering
and suspension. Slotted nuts and castellated nuts are two different
types of nuts. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?? Let me
know and I'll explain it to you with pictures so you don't make the

same
mistake in the future.

Yes, please show us pictures of these "slotted" and "castellated" nuts,
and explain the difference between a "castellated" and a "castle" nut, if
you would be so kind. :-)

SPS technologies sells slotted and castellated nuts:

http://www.spstech.com/aero/products/nuts/slotted.html

Those are self locking nuts not designed to be used with a split pin so a
different type of beast altogether. It makes a certain point though. There
are many types of nut with slots in them including ones with horizontal
slots which almost slice the nut into two halves (another type of self
locking nut). The term "slotted nut" is therefore almost meaningless without
further specifying what sort of slot. However everyone knows roughly what a
castellated nut is even if there is a miniscule distinction between nuts
with a round bit above the hex and those without.

Quite why Mr Smith is so worked up about this distinction I have no idea and
his assertion that 'true' (by his own definition) castellated nuts (round
bit above the hex) are not used on vehicle axles when they clearly are was
just flat wrong.

My only remaining interest in this mainly pointless and pedantic bickering
is a vestigial curiosity about the reason for some nuts designed to be used
with split pins having a round bit above the hex and some not having that.
As for terminology I'll continue to call any nut designed to be used with a
split pin a castellated nut whether it has a round bit on it or not. At
least that way everyone even vaguely associated with engineering or
mechanics will know what the hell I'm talking about.
--
Dave Baker