Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

Default mill/drill motor

"RoyJ" wrote in message
.net...
Starting switch or starting cap is bad.

Mr. Bla wrote:
I have a wholesale tool version RF-30 mill/drill. I have had it for a

couple
of years and its always worked fine. Now when I turn the motor switch I

get
only a 60 Hz buzz. It will occasionally quiver and if I can hand start

the
spindle it will run at normal speed/power. This happens even if I take

the
belt off. Prior to this I was doing something and I had the switch

turned
only partially. I noticed that there was a buzz noise but no motor

movement
so I released the switch immediatly and there was no smoke or smell but

wonder if I fried something. Any help or advice would be much

appreciated.
Also, if it sounds like this is going to be a toasted motor I wonder if
this would be a good time to consider a vfd setup as the machine is just
about to be CNC'ed and the variable speed would be nice

Not quite so fast....

I had the same thing happen with a HF mill/drill... All that was wrong was
that the thermal cut-off was tripped... The way the d..d thing is wired, it
doesn't turn off EVERYTHING...

Jerry