Ernie Leimkuhler

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

In article , Ken Finney
wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
I tried posting this over at the Toyota truck newsgroup and got no
help, so back to RCM is it.

3 weeks ago my 85 Toyota 1-ton blew it's rod bearing.
Instead of replacing the engine again, I opted for another truck.
I got a 86 extra-cab, longbed (yes it has both and is really long) in
excellent condition.

Now I don't want to get rid of my 1-ton because it is really rare and
since I do metal fab, that 1-ton suspension has been really useful.
I spent a lot of time and money over the last year replacing a lot of
parts on the truck.
What I want to do is bring the truck back to life.
I have to choose how to do that.
It currently has the Fuel Injected 22REC engine.
A good rebuilt one is around $1500-$1600.
A junkyard pulled engine is like $400-$700 as far as I can find.

snip

Have you checked those places in the Little Nickel that sell low mileage
engines from Japan?

20R and 22R toyota engines are domestic only.
The Japanese versions are illegal in the US.
Believe me I have checked.