Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default Part P conudrum.....

Tony Bryer wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:22:53 +0000 (UTC) Dave wrote :

If we live in what we used know as a democracy, how come TFB who
presides at the odpm (I can't possibly capitalise that, as I do not
think it should exist in the first place) can issue a decree that has
not been discussed in parliament and voted on, on a free basis, ie
the whips are strapped down and blindfolded?

Because the underlying Act - and there are probably thousands like it -
says that the Minister is empowered to do so.

At this point, I must add that I have driven from Preston to Portsmouth
and back today, to bring the g children here, so sorry for any mental
aberations.

Why should any office of an elected body have the ability to define a
new law, without a vote by our elected MPs?
In a democracy, this law should be decided by the elected body that we
call a government.

"The Building Act 1984 is the enabling Act under which the Building
Regulations are made and empowers the Secretary of State to make
regulations for the purpose of
* Securing the health, safety, welfare and convenience of persons in or
about buildings and of others who may be affected by buildings or
matters connected with buildings;
* Furthering the conservation of fuel and power;
* Preventing waste, undue consumption, misuse or contamination of
water"

http://www.charnwood.gov.uk/environm...onsandotherleg
is.html

IIRC such regulations have to be laid before Parliament before coming
into effect, thus giving MP's a theoretical right to object but if one
does the reply is probably that all interested parties have been
consulted and the responses to the consultation have been taken into
account.