Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Power Drill Recommendations .

"Stuart" wrote in message

I am looking for a replacement drill for my Black and Decker 600Watt

Last week I was talking to a Bosch power tools rep. He was quite objective
and said that PP Pro has taken a slice of all the major companies markets.
He said many men on sites now use PP Pro. He talked favourably about Ryobi
and said their marketing dept had done a good job on the ONE+ range. He
said Bosch had that but with only 14.4v batteries, so missed out, but they
did not market the one battery approach, and give it a name, and did not
sell the 'bare' batteryless tool. he said DeWalt have the one battery range
but have seriously dropped their market share across the board. I said they
are not better than B&D. He agreed.

About having them repaired, he said the men on sites don't bother too much
with normal drills and just buy another as they can't afford the wait. He
put that attitude down to PP Pro gaining ground, which 'can' be cheap enough
to throw away. Although he noted the top of the range is not that cheap.
He said overall PP Pro is good value for money and that the line between
serious DIY and pro is now blurred.

The new Bosch Lith Ion battery drill he rates and gives the torque, but the
men on site will not buy it as they don't think it can do the job viewing
battery voltage as the yardstick, and it does not look macho enough for
them. Around 2 amp/hr is what the site boys are going for. BTW, an Aldi I
went in had for £17 a small fit in your palm type Lith Ion battery driver of
around 7.5v. Looked very handy, and it will probably have the torque of a
NiCad 12v.

His personal view is that 24v is only worth it on SDS drills, as they are
too heavy. He rated the Kress/Wickes range of tools, which he said had
stood the test of time.