Posted to alt.home.repair
John50049

Default Stripping wood cabinets

Big Al wrote:
Trying to gather ideas about stripping some kitchen cabinets. The doors and
drawer fronts are made of 3/4" plywood. They have many coats of paint I'd
like to remove. What's the best stripper? At what point do you stop
stripping and start sanding? If I can get them clean I'm going to stain
them.

What is an older adhesive used to hold 4 inch tile to a wall? It's brown and
hard and I need to remove it too. Tried a scraper but it will take a year
that way. What is the beast way to get it off?

Al

I have been refinishing furniture for about 30 years and have tried
alot of ways. To remove paint I use a heat gun and putty knife. Just
experiment to learn how much heat and how fast to move. Once you start
heating and the paint start to melt just slide the putty knife along at
the speed the paint will melt. Just don't stop in a spot very long or
it will burn. I have done this many times on furniture, wood work
cabinets, etc. and it work great. After taking most the paint off with
heat then I use Parks liquid strip and steel wool to wash it off then
sand it. Hope this helps