Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt

Default Floors

Pop wrote:
"mo" wrote in message
news:6jmHf.10292$0H1.9353@trnddc04...
Are laminate "floating" floors any good?

In my opinion, they're pretty good. But like most other things,
you get what you pay for and need to pay attention to the maker's
reputation. We have a floating laminate floor in our living
room. Here are my opinions:

[snip]
Claims it can be sanded three times. But needs surface
refinishing if you sand it. Sanding will void the 25 yr wear
warranty so they say sanding's for end of warranty replenishment
g. You interpret that!

[snip]

What you are describing is typically described as an "engineered wood floor".
What just about everyone means when they say "laminate" flooring is not real
wood on the surface and most definitely cannot ever be sanded. It is high
pressure laminate (formica).

While engineered wood floors are made from "laminated" wood that is not the term
to use when describing it.