Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Stripping wood cabinets

"Big Al" wrote in message
Trying to gather ideas about stripping some kitchen cabinets. The doors
and
drawer fronts are made of 3/4" plywood. They have many coats of paint I'd
like to remove. What's the best stripper? At what point do you stop
stripping and start sanding? If I can get them clean I'm going to stain
them.

I have limited experience, but that past year stripped paint of a maple
chest. I hesitated figuring it would be a real PITA, but is worked out
fairly simple. I bought a gallon of paint remover from Wal Mart. I forget
the brand. Applied a coat of it on a side. They gave you a sprayer, but I
had better results with a brush. Waited 10 minutes. With a putty knife, I
just lightly scraped and all the finish came off. Rinsed with water, let it
dry, sanded with 150 grit, then 400 grit and done.

A few spots had to be touched up. Overall, it came out excellent and it is
now refinished and looks as good as it did 50+ years ago when it was in my
bedroom as a kid.

Plywood may not turn out as well, especially the edges. It may be easier
and look better to replace the drawer fronts.