Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default Craftsman Rotary Tool

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:38:32 -0500, "Locutus" wrote:

Wife got me one a Craftsmand Rotary Tool for Christmas.. I am just starting
to do small woodworking projects and I was considering purchasing a router
and I remembered the rotary tool came with the plunge router kit. Checking
Craftsmans site they even had a small benchtop router table for it. Would
router bits and the router table for this be worth investing in or should I
just buy an actual router?

Any advice/comments are appreciated, thanks!

I bought my wife a Dremel multi-speed for Christmas that came with the router
setup and all the other bells and whistles.. I would NOT try serious routing
with it..

Regardless of what their advertising says, it will not take the place of a
router... but large stuff is not the nature of the tool or why most folks get
it.. it's great for SMALL stuff... sand, grind, cut, etc., etc. in areas that
"normal" power tools either won't reach or are too big for..
If you have things that would be too small or precise for a router, use the
rotary tool.. YMWV

To explore using a router for slightly bigger stuff, I'd recommend the 1/4 hp
trim router that Harbor Freight has on sale a few times a year for $20... I got
it as a "throw away" spare for light jobs and have been unsuccessfully trying to
kill it for over a year now.. *lol*

Mac