Terry King

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

In article , says...
In article , Ernie Leimkuhler says...

I love this truck.

Ernie, I think you should rebuild it. If it really is a bad
connecting rod bearing, the only parts involved are the
crankshaft, bearing and connecting rod. Very replaceable,
and the crank can probably be reground.

It's just some more stuff to learn. Just do it. If you can FAB
steel, you can carefully do a rebuild. Mostly it's just
a disassemble, buy new or have a shop regrind old (crank, valves etc),
reassemble with care and all new gaskets etc. kind of job.
If you have typical socket sets etc, you need a torque wrench,
and buy or rent a cylinder ridge reamer and piston ring
compressor and valve spring compressor.

I didn't know what I was getting into when I rebuilt my 1951 Ford
flathead IN the vehicle, at age 16. But I learned fast. Definitely
pull the engine out and work in the shop. Maybe a Harbor Freight
engine stand as a luxury...

I'm looking forward to rebuilding another small block GM (My Yukon
has 180,000 miles) next year.

Just do it.

--
Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont

The one who Dies With The Most Parts LOSES!! What do you need?