Jon Elson

Default '85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma

jim rozen wrote:

Toyotas of that vintage usually don't have much
frame or body left. Is there something special
about this truck that made it last longer?

I'm suprised that the toy ng or mailing lists
don't do better. I had the url for a very good
one, mostly truck-related, which I queried about
my camry questions. It was pretty good.

I can't say specifically about the trucks, but I have an '89 Toyota
Corolla station wagon. Against the dealer's recommendations,
it is the first car I had undercoated. There is no body rust, and only
a few small spots of rust on the very corners of frame members, etc.
on the underside. I'm quite impressed. It has 129,000 miles on it,
and they use PLENTY of salt in the winter, here, in St. Louis,
where the average driver is in a total tizzy with 1/4" of snow.
I used to giggle as I drove around people in 4X4s that were stuck,
because they had no idea how to drive in snow.

(as for reliability, it is pretty good, too. I finally had the first
non-standard maintenance items show up. A new starter at 110,000
and got the rear wheel cylinders rebuilt at 128,000. Before that,
it was just tires, bateries, brake shoes & pads, and mufflers.)

Jon