Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default fan dimmer

John78785 wrote:
I would like to use a dimmer/speed control with a window fan or a
standing floor fan. Is this safe?

I tried using a 3 speed control for a ceiling fan but the low and
medium settings on the speed control made the fan go faster, and the
high setting seemed to be the normal speed for the fan. Why does the
fan go faster on the lower settings?

I have no idea that is happening. As below, you can only use a speed
control on a motor designed for that speed control.

Are there any speed controls made for portable fans? Also I'd prefer
to have a continuous control like a light dimmer instead of only 3
speeds, are continuous controls made? I didn't see any at home depot.

Thanks

Not a good idea. It can cause overheating problems. You need a fan
designed for speed control. Trying to force a motor to run slow when it was
not designed for it is not wise.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit