Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

Default What is it? CI

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Tom wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Tom wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Norman D. Crow wrote:

snip

583 Not to start a pi**in' contest, but the correct term is
"Castellated"
nut, although commonly called castle nut. Most familiar use is in the
front
suspension & steering of cars/trucks to insure nothing vibrates loose.

Sorry, not true. You have the name right but the usage wrong. Slotted
nuts are used on truck and automotive spindles, not Castellated nuts.
There is a difference.

snip

I suggest you consult a dictionary for the meaning of castellated,
a hint, it has nothing to do with truck & automotive spindles.

Tom

Didn't I post that??

No, you posted something about "slotted" nuts which was
entirely irrelevant.

How's that?? The previous poster said that castellated nuts were used in
automotive applications, steering and suspension. I said they are not (
similar to what you posted.) I said slotted nuts are mostly used in
automotive applications. Spindles are part of automotive steering and
suspension. Slotted nuts and castellated nuts are two different types of
nuts. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?? Let me know and I'll
explain it to you with pictures so you don't make the same mistake in the
future.

Let's clear this up a little . . . Doesn't really make a rat's backside
whether it's slotted or castellated. They both serve the same function,
which is to be retained in place by a cotter(or other) pin to keep them from
coming loose. I spent a few minutes on Google Images, and in a lot of cases
you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. Search for slotted nut showed
some that were apparently castellated according to your definition, and
search for castellated nut showed some that sure looked like slotted.
Technically they may be different, but for all practical purposes they're
the same. Someone said the mechanic doesn't really care, if it came off it
goes back on. Let's face it, you drop a handful of mixed slotted &
castellated on a table most people aren't going to recognize the difference
between them(or care).

http://www.montac.com/mustang/kmember_part1.htm

is, in the 11th picture down, according to your definition, a slotted nut,
but they call it a castellated nut. I believe Leon said "I call it potato,
you call it pototo".

Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.