Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Union or JIB rates for Bricklayers / Carpenters ???

In article ,
the pilot wrote:
No. There are no fixed rates for any employment and skill - apart from
possibly in local government, etc. But few councils have staff in this
sort of area anymore - they use contractors.

I've managed to find that an unskilled 'adult general operative' is
paid £6.42/hr minimum, and a 'skilled craftsman' is paid £8.38
minimum. Plus mileage, OT etc.

Different councils will pay different rates. And paying mileage seems
strange. They would normally travel in a council truck.

But what typically would an employed skilled bricklayer be paid, and
what would it be if self employed ???

You can just about get a good brickie in London for 200 quid a day (8
hours)

So assuming 4 weeks holiday and a 5 day week that might equate to just
under 50 grand a year. But of course few will have these sort of days
every day of the week. A weekly rate will be less. And a permanent
position that pays holiday and sick pay, etc even less per hour.

I'm trying to do a comparison with say a architecural designer, who
can start at £25000

That might be a starting salary for many professions. But of course a good
one will end up on very much more.

Is there anywhere I can get a list of comparable wages for different
construction jobs, be it on site or in the office ??.

You might try the appropriate union. But if it's anything like mine (BECTU
- which covers the TV etc industry) those rates are often much higher than
actually paid.

If self employed you can try and charge what you want. But may not get
any work. Market forces. Nothing to do with immigrants. Just supply and
demand.

Certainly there is a high immigrant workforce around here that is
willing to work for minimum wage, which appears to be keeping general
wages on the low side.

A capitalist's dream? Apart from them being immigrants, obviously.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.