Fatboise Fatboise is offline
Member

Default Sizing a boiler - short cycling?

Just wondering if anybody can help me out here. I have an oil fired boiler for the central heating and hot water. We've been in the house for a few months now and we seem to be using a lot of oil and I'm trying to see if I can get the boiler running more efficiently

Now it's a big house (2600 sq feet) and I understand that a house that size will be hard to heat. The heating would be on inthe morning for an hour and in the eveniong for 2-3 hours. There is 15 radiators and the hot water cylinder. The boiler is 120000 Btu (35Kw) with a 0.65mm nozzle in the burner.

A few days ago I timed the cycling on the boiler when it was up to temperature and found that the burner was coming on for 2.5 mins and then of for approx. 2.5 mins which I thought a bit excessive.

I've tried searching for info but find it hard to find anything on the boiler cycling question. I had a look at the sedbuk website but don't have all the measurments to size the boiler - need to find the drawings again.

Any inputs much appreciated.................