Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

Default Home remodeling software?

Folks,

Having just purchased a new old house, SWMBO and I are planning some
remodeling projects...new siding, turning the living room into a Den,
turning the old office into first floor laundry, updating kitchen,
etc.

I'd like to find a software package that would let us experiment with
floor plans, cabinet layouts, visualize different types of siding,
etc.

I've looked at a lot of the home design software, and many of them
"seem" like they would allow for this. Many, for example, allow you
to import digital photos of the outside and then change the siding,
etc. They range in price from $20-100+. I don't mind spending that
kind of money if it works halfway decently.

But it's impossible to tell how well they do this, and how easy they
are to learn and use, so I'm looking for input from folks that have
used such a package.

I've used a lot of straight CAD packages, but I really want something
optimised and intended for the stuff I listed above. For the interior
view especially, I'd want to view in simulated 3D not just plan or
elevation views.

Anyone willing to share their experience and/or recommendations?

TIA,

Paul Franklin

(you know what to leave out)