Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Cheap ESR Meter

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
Apologies about that!
I was replacing the batteries about once per 3 months with typical
use, though some people complain that they hardly last any time at
all. Maybe they always leave the meter on until it turns itself off?
The 78L05 regulator can be replaced with a low dropout voltage one,
which extends battery life a bit.

Cheers
Bob

Must be my twisted sense of humour ... I was being facetious when I said the
battery only lasted 2 years !! The battery life is really very good, and I
honestly haven't got any complaints with it lasting 2 years. Personally, I
prefer the digital display to the analogue one on the other ESR meters. It
is completely unambiguous, and when it says " zero ", it really is. Also, I
don't think that you can call Bob's meter ' cheap ' by any stretch of the
imagination. For sure, it doesn't COST a lot, but CHEAP, it's not. Remember
that it is uP controlled, and does some clever calculations to arrive at the
result. Most of the analogue ones don't work on that principle.

The meter is available in the UK from Satcure. Go to

www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page6.htm#esr

It's called the " Genie " in the UK

Arfa