Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Union or JIB rates for Bricklayers / Carpenters ???

In article ,
the pilot wrote:
Any body any idea what the union or JIB rates are for Skilled
Bricklayers / Carpenters in the Midlands area of the UK.

Also what would be an typical hourly rate for a self employed
bricklayer or carpenter (fully trained)

I am asking this because my son wants to be come a bricklayer or
carpenter.

Fine - but the rates will likely change by the time he becomes qualified.
And is he very young? Most by working age might have an idea which of very
different trades they might be suitable for. By perhaps showing an
interest in it as a hobby? Ie, plenty say they want to be a brain
surgeon. But wanting to be something doesn't mean they are up to it.

We reckon that the rates are fixed if employed, but are generally
being kept down due to Polish / Latvian imigrants. is there any truth
in that.

No. There are no fixed rates for any employment and skill - apart from
possibly in local government, etc. But few councils have staff in this
sort of area anymore - they use contractors.

If self employed you can try and charge what you want. But may not get any
work. Market forces. Nothing to do with immigrants. Just supply and demand.

I'd suggest you tell your son to research the market. And decide what
skills he's likely to learn properly. A skilled workman will always be in
demand - if good at his job. But only in short term areas of shortage a
license to print money.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.