Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.home.repair

Default Want to replace old flat tv cable with better coax.

jg wrote:
Here's a link to a picture of my antenna, maybe someone can tell me
what I have. Also, does the fact that the "receivers" are off place
and therefore touching affect the signal? Since I will be up there, I
will straighten them, but odds are they will get crossed again. (I've
aready fixed this in the past.)

http://www.acequality.net/temp/antenna.jpg

It appears you have the Radio Shack model VU-120 antenna. The best
information I can get on this antenna is: gain is only fair to good
and directivity is probably below average to average. This antenna is
made mainly for local/suburb reception, NOT for distant stations. The
beamwidth on this antenna is NOT narrow enough - that is why you can
pick up San Francisco stations without turning the antenna. NOT A GOOD
ANTENNA FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO RECEIVE. Stick with Channel Master,
Winegard, or Jerrold brand antennas. They are built to last and have
much higher gain and much better directivity. In YOUR case, I would
add the Channel Master 8-bay bowtie antenna for distant UHF signals and
keep your other antenna for the locals. Otherwise, you are talking
about a $200 UHF/VHF antenna. The 8-bay antenna is not high priced,
and beats the UHF section of EVERY UHF/VHF antenna on the market that I
know of. But it is extremely directional and you will need a rotor.
Also, not only is the gain high and the directivity outstanding, but
the design of an 8-bay bowtie gives more "signal capture area" because
of the large screen behind the active elements. This really helps in
mountainess areas and other weak signal areas. The design of the
antenna also narrows both vertical and horizontal beamwidth, resulting
in less ghosting. If you can barely pick up a UHF signal with your
current antenna, chances are the signal will be very good with the
8-bay bowtie. And I'm talking about your current antenna with NEW
coax cable, not your current mixed lead.