Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to size water heater(s) in new home - More info

Someone rightly pointed out that I had left our critical info.
Occupants:
Wife & myself
Daughter (in apt.)
Water Heaters
Either Elec or Propane
Elec is much cheaper purchase & Install
Propane expensive too
Propane = Quicker recovery, possible tankless
Apartment (upstairs):
Bath: Tub/shower combo, lavatory, toilet
Kitchen: Sink, D/W
Laundry: Washer/Dryer
Kitchen - pasrtly under apt
Sink, D/W
Small range side Sink
Laundry:
Util sink
Washer/dryer
Garage:
Util sink
==== All above at one end of 100' long house ======
Guest bath (upstairs in middle)
Lavatory, tub/shower combo, use mostly by guests
Master Bed (at far end from the other stuff)
2 Lavatories
72" Jetted Tub
Seperate shower

A priority is not to have to wait "forever" for hot water to reach a
spigot, especially at the kitchen & lavatory sinks and utility tubs.

I am planning to have a hot water heater in the garage and another under
the master bath (crawl space here will be about 6 feet high due to land
slope).

2 elec water heaters - one at each end - How big should they be?
3 elec water heaters - Separate one for jetted tub - on when needed
2 Tankless propane heaters
Recirculating - rejected 200+ feet of pipe to loose heat from.
plus cost to run pump, etc.
Others?

How large should I make each water heater. Should I have a separate
additional heater for that huge tub and only turn it on when needed?

Many thanks for any knowledgeable help!