Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Soldering Surface mount capacitor with Radio Shack Soldering iron?

"GregS" wrote in message
In article .net, "Ralph

Mowery" wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
In article . com,

wrote:
I need to solder couple of surface mount capcitors,but the tip is not
sharp enough.

Is there any way to do it without buying expensive tools ? Can i tie a
needle to the gun?

File it down.

It will not last long afterward. The flux will eat up the bare copper.

Flux will not eat up the bare copper. Atleast not flux for electronic
circuits.

The copper on the tip mixes with the solder and is removed from the tip

and
deposited on the circuit board.

It may be possiable to wrap some # 12 or # 14 solid wire around the tip,
extend one side out and use that to heat the SMD

Blieve me, if the tip is not plated, it will not last
long. I,ve been soldering for about 45 years.

greg

Greg, I did not say the tip would not last long if it was not plated.

Reread and notice that you said the FLUX would eat the copper. Flux
(designed for electronics) will NOT EAT copper. The copper dissapears
because it mixes to a small ammount with the tin/lead when the solder melts.
It becomes an aloy of coper/lead/tin. That aloy is then pulled off the tip
of the iron and becomes part of the components that are soldered.

I have also replaced my share of the plane copper tips in the 40 some years
I have been soldering.