Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Combination machines.

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message
I don't think that hand work has anything to do with it.. I think that
for most people it comes down to maximizing shop space. Getting a 12"
sliding table saw, shaper, 12" jointer, 12" planer, and tenoning machine
into a shop with separate components takes a lot of room. Combining them
into a single machine saves a lot of space.

I do. I can make that one extra mortise easily, take an extra pass with
jointer or planer, etc without a problem with dedicated power tools. Not
to mention I can have a couple projects going without trouble.

They're great at single-man stock preparation, as I said. After that -
nope.

BTW, my shop's 13x18 (and out the door), and I learned how not to waste
central space with machine wings and sliding tables and such, so I have a
good set of dedicated tools on caster-mounted cabinets. I am thinking of
moving the lumber storage out to gain some more floor space for a thickness
sander, though.