Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default An OT oscilloscope question

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:37:51 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:38:14 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:10:27 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I been havin' fun with my TEK 465B 'scope. But now I want to do
something serious. Check the output of a couple generators. I have a
1X/10X probe. Do I just set the 'scope to the right volts/div, the
probe at 10x, and touch the probe to the hot wire? Should the ground
clip from the probe be connected to the generator ground? I ordered
the manual but it hasn't arrived yet.
Thanks,
ERS

What is the expected peak output voltage of these generators? Are
they AC, DC, or whut?

Don,
AC. it's a small one. 850 watts. Good for little stuff but not quite
enough for the fridge.
Thanks,
Eric

OK. Yes, ground your scope to genny ground. The safest way to
operate might be to actually power the scope from the genny.

Set your probe on x10. Put it on channel 1. Set your trigger
controls on AC and norm, trigger mode (white button) on auto. Set
the little AC-gnd-DC switch under the channel 1 gain knob to gnd and
center the trace vertically on the screen. Set your horizontal sweep
at 2 mS/cm.

Now connect your probe to the hot wire. You should see about 1 cycle
of your AC waveform. You can now play with the various gain,
sweeprate and trigger settings to modify the display to see whatever
you want to see. Oh, I'd pull out the trig view button (near the Ch
1 gain knob) to set the scope at 20 MHz bandwidth.