Stanley Dornfeld

Default Straighten a acme lead screw?

Very Good information.

Regards,

Stan-
"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:20:50 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Tonight..I did a bad thing.

I dumped a Gorton pantograph on its side.

The hoisting gear broke, everything pivoted and it rather gently fell
over on its side. Breaking the tables crossfeed bearing casting on one
side. Which is easily fixable..but it bent the cross feed screw.

Damnit.
Damit to hell. ****.

Anyone know the best way to straighten an acme lead screw?

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
make messes in the house."
With appologies to RAH..

Greetings Gunner,
I have straightened lots of shafts. And got 'em really straight. This
is what worked for me. Saw vee blocks out of aluminum. The shaft rests
on these in a hydraulic press. Beneath the shaft mount a 1 inch travel
indicator. Rotate the shaft to find the high spot and use an aluminum
pusher between the ram and the shaft. When doing threaded shafts I
used a wide indicator point that bridged the crests of the threads so
that the indicator didn't need to be moved constantly to find the high
spot. Start to apply pressure and note where the indicator is. Relieve
pressure and see how much bend was taken out. By applying more and
more pressure and noting how much indicator travel equals how much
bend removed you can guess how much firther you will need to go. Since
the aluminum crushes with pressure you need to rotate the shaft each
time when it gets close to straight to guage how straight it is. When
the shaft starts to yield a little it will take less movement to get
the same amount of straightening than when first starting out. When
the shaft gets close to straight it will be very easy to over bend. If
this happens it will take much less pressure the opposite way to put
the bend back in. To get the shaft really straight you will need to
move it in .001 increments. With a manual hydraulic press I have used
a long bar on the pump so it is easy to depress and so a large
movement of the handle translates into minute movements of the ram.
You know my number so feel free to call if you want more help.
Cheers,
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine