Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race

Default building a trailer

T i m wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 17:29:56 GMT, Malcolm Race
wrote:

news.btinternet.com wrote:

I would like to build a light car trailer. It seems that this would be
cheaper than buying one.

Can anyone point to appropriate websites for plans and parts etc.?

Or is this simply a daft idea?

Thanks

IIRC from a number of years ago Indespension used to supply traier
parts. I built a luggage traiter using their suspension units - you
could specify the stub axel required, depending on the hub/wheel you
could find in a scrapyard. I have no current experience.

I'm not sure you can do that any more Malcolm (if you were doing the
brakes bit).

I built my 1/2 tonne braked trailer using Morris Minor stub axles /
brake drums (and it still running fine some 20 years later) but I
think now you can only use 'purpose built' trailer brake / stub axle
assemblies?

Maybe if you go for a car conversion (where you retain the donor brake
system) you can get round it (probably because it's not 'new' but a
conversion)??

Also my trailer has the simple sprung 'overrun' brake actuator and I
think new-builds must be damped ..?

All the best ..

T i m

The trailer was a lightweight luggage trailer and unbraked

Malcolm