Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Part P conudrum.....

Joe wrote:

Still, now the police won't get out of bed for less than £75 (Google
gordon wallis 75 if you don't know) it can't be too long before they
won't bother enforcing building regulations.

I expect we are there now. The scope of work that is expected of
building control has grown so fast that there seems little chance of
them keeping on top of it all, and more importantly, of even the
builders / tradesmen / diy folk even remaining aware of what is actually
required. How many "ordinary people" have heard about Part P or L for
example?

The same situation has been reached with business regulation -
legislation pertaining to running a business is currently expanding by
more than 1000 new pages per year. So it is no longer possible for any
except the largest firms (who can afford to employ dedicated compliance
officers to manage the task) to keep on top of all the requirements.
Nett result being that most firms will be guilty of inadvertently
breaking some regulation or other simply through ignorance.

--
Cheers,

John.