Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default Lawnmower that will not start

Flat gasket between carb and motor.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
..

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, folks, the saga continues.The first thing I did tonight when I
got home was to squirt a little bit of gasoline in the carburetor(where
the air filter connects). After many cranks, nothing. So, I removed
the spark plug, and dribbled a little bit of gasoline in the spark plug
hole. Put the spark plug back in, and VOILA! It fired up, for around
5-110 seconds. Ran like a top, so I knew there was no problem with the
spark, timing, or compression. So, once more I took the carburetor
off. I removed the adjustment screws, being careful to count the
turns, so that I could get them back in the same place. I then blew
carburetor cleaner through the holes, then replaced both screws
(counting the turns so that I could get them back in the right place).
I then turned the carburetor over, and removed the little plate that
was on the bottom of the carburetor (held on with 4 allen screws).
Inside I found what looked like a tiny black mesh screen, which I
gently partially removed, then blew carburetor cleaner in there and
made sure that the whole area was clean. I then put the screen back
on, put the bottom piece on (with the 4 little allen screws).
Reattached the linkage and bolted it back onto the edger.
I cranked it up, and again, nothing. I once more removed the spark
plug, and poured a little gas into the spark plug hole, and once more
it fired up, for a few seconds.
I'm kind of at my wits end. Does anyone have any suggestion of
something else to try? Clearly there is an issue with the carburetor,
but I have had it all apart, and it looks clean to me. Thanks in
advance for your help, Richard