Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Soldering Surface mount capacitor with Radio Shack Soldering iron?

wrote:
I need to solder couple of surface mount capcitors,but the tip is not
sharp enough.

Is there any way to do it without buying expensive tools ? Can i tie a
needle to the gun?

I have done all kinds of repair and assembly work with one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tPage =search

(15 W grounded pencil-type iron #64-2051)

The tip is fine for all but the tiny, tiny parts (0402 and smaller).
The only problem is that the working distance makes it more like
jousting than surgery. Just lay off the coffee. You also have to buy
tips pretty frequently because they're not durable at all. But the
price is right. It's not necessary, but if you're good with a file, you
can put any shape you like on the tip.

You might also want to get the 25W model for the larger stuff because
the 15W can't handle things like connectors or big groundplanes.

I have a moderately expensive Weller at work with a fancy temperature
control and a stylish cushioned handle, and I can't honestly say it's
any easier to work with or produces any better results. I wouldn't
bother spending the extra dough.

If you do a lot of soldering, I defniitely would recommend paying
around $200-$300 for a Pace or Metcal iron when you have some extra
cash saved up; the working distance makes these irons a joy to use.