Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing

Tom Nie said:

Greg, Hey that's some cool stuff! Glanced at a couple of the images and the
bowl you linked is outstanding. The solid section has so much movement it's
as if it's segmented, too. What an example of a plain jane bowl SHAPE being
treated in such a way as to be a piece of art in large part because of the
simple intrinsic beauty of wood. That's not a slight of Neeley because how
he brought it all together is marvelous. Thanks for the link.

There are a lot of segmented turners out there, but KN's stuff is more
to my taste than most others. I would love to find out where he gets
the black palm - but from what I have read, it's a real bear to turn.

http://www.turnedwood.com/images/Bowl0688a.jpg
Notice what he did on this one. Created the solid effect in the center that
I was talking about but used segments.

OK, I've done one like that...

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...entedPot04.jpg

Feature band is unadorned by detail... But it IS segmented.

I gotta learn how to do this stuff but using local woods like the cherry and
black walnut I've got piled around here. Maybe the beech could be used as
the contrast.

A very large beech tree fell in a local park a week ago. I've been
eyeing it for a way to cut it up and remove it, but they have the path
partitioned off. A crew showed up and threw most of it into the wood
chipper. ARRGGHH!!! This thing was huge - about 60' tall and 32" in
diameter. The 3-4' sections they cut it into are too heavy to lift.

What a waste...

Greg G.