Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

Default Branch Question

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:20:06 +0000, Woodborg
wrote:

I'm asking this as my dad has a willow tree thats a bit tall and needs
reducing by 50 percent and i would like to make something out of the
small logs because it brings back memories as a small child climbing up
this tree

Turning logs/limbs in the endgrain, intact, is exactly what the LDD
process was developed by Ron Kent for, turning Norfolk Island Pine.
While willow obviously isn't the same tree, there is certainly
precedent for it working on an endgrain bowl. I have used the LDD
method with some success, ___as per Ron Kent's Instructions___, on
elm, maple and maple endgrain pieces.

As soon as you possibly can after the tree is cut, rough turn your
bowl, per the insttructions, drop it in the solution, let it soak,
finish turning, sand and finish and let 'er dry. If you've got enough
wood to do it with, you might try an experiment by doing one in the
soak and doing one without the LDD and see if either of them crack.

Anyhow, don't let the naysayers turn you aside from your quest. But
if you _do_ find that you can't one finished w/o cracking, you could
still take a length of one of the limbs and turn a wing bowl, which
would look nice also and would still give you something useful.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget